The string of pearls is a perfect-looking succulent that resembles a string of beads. This attractive-looking plant can easily attract pets towards itself. But are string of pearls toxic to pets? Can your cats and dogs suffer if they munch on them? Let’s find out!
The string of pearls is toxic to your pets, including cats and dogs. If your pet ingests the plant, you will notice signs like heart irregularities, gastric issues, drooling, vomiting, and difficulty breathing. You need to rush your pet to a vet immediately if they are showing such signs.
The sap of the string of pearls makes it toxic for both pets and humans. Small pets are more sensitive, so they are likely to be affected more than mature ones.
However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t keep a string of pearls at home. If you can take care of the placement of the plant, you will be able to keep it away from the reach of your pets.
If you notice any vomiting, nausea, or diarrhea in your pets, you should contact the vet to be on the safe side. With that in mind, let’s learn more about the toxicity of the plant and how to keep your pets safe.
Also read: 21 Best Indoor Plants That Are Safe For Pets.
Table Of Contents
I have done my best to address all of your concerns in the article below. However, if you still have any questions or are confused about the article, you can receive personalized one-on-one assistance from me by leaving a comment below. I will respond to your comment within a few hours.
Please note: Simplify Plants is reader-supported. Some links in the post are affiliate links and I get a commission from purchases made through links in the post.
Is String of Pearls pet friendly?
The string of pearls is not pet-friendly as they are toxic to most pets.
These plants are toxic to both cats and dogs. If your pets touch any part of the plant, it can cause rashes and skin irritation.
If your pet nibbles on any part of the plant, you will notice symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, stomach ache, etc.
You should contact the vet immediately and take your pet to the nearby clinic to diagnose and treat it.
How poisonous is the string of pearls?
The string of pearls plant is classified under classes 2 and 4 of toxicity in a study conducted by The University of California.
Class 2 toxicity means minor toxicity. The string of pearls can cause issues like vomiting or diarrhea but cannot kill your pets.
The sap or juice of the plant can cause skin irritation if it comes in contact with the skin of your pets.
Ingesting the string of pearls can be dangerous for your cat or dog. If you notice vomiting, diarrhea, or drooling in your pet, you need to check if it has ingested the plant.
In any case, you should not try out any home remedies and consult the vet as soon as possible.
If the pet has consumed only a small bite of the plant, it might only face minor problems, but consuming a larger quantity can be hazardous.
Signs of plant poisoning in pets
The string of pearls is a great air purifier, but you should place it away from the pets and children.
The toxin present in the plant can cause problems such as:
- Oral irritation
We will discuss how the string of pearls can affect your cat or dog.
Can String of Pearls kill dogs?
The string of pearls can be highly toxic for your dog when ingested in a large quantity and can even cause liver failure. However, in most cases, your pets are likely to recover.
The signs of poisoning depend on the amount of ingestion or contact. The symptoms that we see in dogs are:
- Redness of skin
- Abdominal pain
- Muscle convulsions
- Liver failure
If your dog has touched or consumed any part of your string of pearls, take it to the vet immediately and give them all the information regarding the incident.
Let the vet know the part of the plant that your dog ingested along with the approximate size.
The treatment will depend on the symptoms found in your pet and the amount of ingestion. If the problems are detected at an early stage, they will be easier to treat.
If you want to avoid these problems, place the string of pearls away from the reach of your dog.
Can String of Pearls kill cats?
The string of pearls is toxic to the cats. The plant sap irritates, and the alkaloids can stop cell division in the liver leading to liver failure. However, your cats are likely to survive if they have ingested a small bite.
The toxicity will be minor if your cat has ingested a small amount or has touched the plant.
If you notice skin rash on your cat, consider washing that area with soapy water as the rashes can be very painful. Consult the vet and take your cat to the clinic to get it treated.
The symptoms of the string of pearls poisoning on your cats are:
- Skin irritation
- Gastrointestinal problems
To prevent your cat from ingesting the string of pearls, you can grow it on a hanging pot or keep it in a spot where your cat can’t reach it.
Is the string of pearls toxic to birds?
Just like your cats or dogs, the string of pearls is toxic for the birds also.
The string of pearls can cause severe problems in the birds and can even be deadly and life-threatening.
If your bird comes in contact with the string of pearls, the poison will affect it. Therefore, we should keep the plant away from our birds.
The symptoms that you will notice in your birds that tell that the string of pearls has poisoned it are:
It is best to place the string of pearls away from your bird so that the bird can’t reach the plant.
You can place the plant in a different room in the house and keep a check that your bird doesn’t fly to the plant.
What to do if your pet ate the string of pearls?
Pets are curious, and they enjoy moving to different parts of the house and smelling and licking everything they find on the way.
We have already discussed that the string of pearls is toxic for your pets.
The good thing is that the string of pearls tastes bitter, so your pets will not enjoy the taste and will not ingest a lot of it.
Even if your pet touches or ingests a small part of the plant, you need to contact the vet immediately.
You should not use any home remedy even if you are worried, as the problem can worsen.
Therefore, consulting a vet is the best thing to do in such a situation.
The vet will remove any part of the plant stuck in your pet’s mouth by washing it thoroughly.
The vet will perform some tests to check if something else is wrong with your pet due to the string of pearls poisoning, such as blood test, drool test, etc.
Ensure to give the vet all the details so that it is easier for them to understand the severity and start the treatment accordingly.
If the symptoms show mild poisoning, the treatment will be short and easy.
However, if the pet has ingested a large quantity, it can cause cell rupture, and you might need to contact the APSCA.
You can contact the vet, and the vet might suggest that you take your pet to the institution to get it treated.
How to keep the string of pearls away from pets?
It is necessary to keep the string of pearls away from your pets to avoid any unpleasant incidents.
Pets do not always understand what is best for them and end up doing things out of curiosity that turn out to be harmful.
You can try to train your pets to stay away from the plant as it is poisonous. But you have to keep the plant away if you want to avoid any mishappening when you are not around.
The best thing to do is place the plant in an area where the pets can’t reach it.
How to keep the string of pearls away from dogs?
You can train your dogs not to touch certain things or go to specific house areas.
But you can’t keep an eye on your dog all the time, and the dogs might become curious when you are not around.
You need to keep the following in mind if you own a dog and a string of pearls.
- Be careful while placing the plant on a shelf, as your dog can knock the plant off the shelf.
- Avoid placing the plant on a tablecloth as your dog might pull the cloth when it wants to play.
- Take good care of your string of pearls so that the leaves don’t fall off it. There might be issues if your dog comes in touch with those.
So, it is best to hang the plant using ceiling hangers and ensure that the dog can’t reach it.
Black Friday Deals On Garden Supplies(Our Best Picks)
|Product Image||Our Recommended Gardening Supplies||Check Offers!|
|Top Top Top Top Top||rePotme Houseplant and Tropical Classic Potting Soil Mix||Check Offer On Amazon|
|Top Top Top Top||Espoma Organic Indoor Plant Food||Check Offer On Amazon|
|Top Top Top Top||GooingTop LED Grow Light 6000K Full Spectrum Clip Plant Growing Lamp||Check Offer On Amazon|
|Top Top Top Top||Soil Moisture Meter||Check Offer On Amazon|
|Top Top Top Top||Govee Hygrometer Thermometer, Bluetooth Enabled!||Check Offer On Amazon|
|Top||LEVOIT Humidifiers for Large Room(Best For Plants)||Check Offer On Amazon|
|Top Top Top Top||Upgraded DIY Automatic Drip Irrigation Kit, 15 Potted Houseplants Support||Check Offer On Amazon|
|Top Top Top Top||Stainless Steel Heavy Duty Gardening Tool Set||Check Offer On Amazon|
|Top Top Top Top||Bonide Insecticidal Soap||Check Offer On Amazon|
|Top Top Top Top||Bonide 32 oz Spray Neem Oil for Organic Gardening||Check Offer On Amazon|
|Top Top Top Top||Garden Safe Fungicide||Check Offer On Amazon|
Are you looking for a readymade indoor plant soil mix that you can open and pour? Check out rePotme. They offer a wide range of readymade soil premixes for all your indoor plants.
How to keep the string of pearls away from cats?
Cats are hard to train and can be more inquisitive than dogs. So, to be sure that your cat will not chew upon the string of pearls, you need to keep them away from each other.
If you have a tray under the plant, try to remove the water from the tray as the cats can drink water from the tray.
If you are planning to leave the house, keep your cat in a different room. It is best to use ceiling hangers to hang your string of pearls to keep it away from your cat.